1. Title of the Practice: Mentoring System For Students
Objectives of the Practice:
To minimize dropouts, improve performance and reduce stress of the students through personal counseling.
Students undergo various problems of stress- personal, academic, physical, mental. Students are new to professional college life. It creates a lot of stress, especially to hostel students who are away from family for the first time. Students from educationally weak background feel complex and hesitations in class and unable to perform well due to inhibitions. Statistics reveal increasing number of suicides and dropouts. Considering the student-teacher ratio in classrooms, it is difficult at times to give personal attention to students in class. One solution therefore is a ‘Mentor’ who can form the bond with students in the true sense. Mentoring is required for students to achieve emotional stability and to promote clarity in thinking and decision making for overall progress.
• Each teacher is assigned around 15-18 students for the complete duration of their study.
• They meet at least once a month to discuss, clarify and share various problems which may be personal or academic, etc.
• The mentors encourage the students to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities and sports.
• Their academic performance and other activities are all recorded.
• The mentors also keep in touch with the parents on their attendance, test performance, fee payment, examinations etc.
• The mentors also counsel the students in need of emotional problems.
• When the students have any problem in the college either with the staff or with work completion the mentors speak with the respective staff and sorts out the problem.
• Mentors take special care of weak students, who are given advice on how to study, prepare a time table for study and clarify the doubts and also given notes to study.
• Students problems are discussed with the Academic Coordinator & Principal, other faculties and necessary action taken to solve it.
Evidence of Success
Evidence of success of the practice includes university ranks, better results in the examinations, improved attendance, less drop outs, increased participation in co-curricular and extracurricular activities, better discipline on campus and respectful relationship between teachers and students. The students are more relaxed and have a healthy relationship with the staffs.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
This practice requires committed teaching staff who has the sire to help students beyond teaching hours. There are no limitations or constraints faced during implementing the program.
2. Title of Best Practice - Teaching – Learning Process
• To ensure the completion of syllabus according to the academic calendar of College
• To encourage teachers to adapt to advance pedagogical methods including ICT adoption in class room teaching
• To improve pass percentage, average marks in each semester and enhance the number of ranks bagged by the college at the university level examinations
• To increase the placement of college as quality of students would be improved
Different teachers use different methods to teach in class. They teach at different paces. It was observed that syllabus coverage remains a challenge when there is need of uniformity. The teachers find it difficult to keep pace with the techno – savvy student learners. There was a need of uniformity and standard setting so that everyone is able to meet the objective of best teaching practices. It has become essential for teachers to adopt to the latest pedagogic styles and include ICT in class room teaching. The mismatch between the student learner and the teacher in the use and comfort of handling varieties of tools available for teaching – learning needs to bridged.
• Academic calendar is planned by the respective department under the instructions of Director and Dean.
• Academic calendar is uploaded on the website for information to students, teachers and others.
• On the basis of that, every faculty prepares the academic planner in the form of course file which is audited by the department head.
• Timely Feedback is obtained from students regarding the content delivery by different teachers.
• Assignments, tests and evaluation are conducted at scheduled dates to improve performance in the semester – end examinations.
• Timeline of Assignments, syllabus coverage is monitored by the Academic Coordinator at regular intervals
• All the class rooms are ICT ready and all the departments adapted their class room teaching with the help of ICT.
Evidence of Success
• All teachers have adopted modern pedagogic styles and ICT in their classes.
• Appropriately paced and timely completion of syllabus
• Increased attendance in the classes
• Improvement in results.
• Every year we have College toppers and university toppers.
Problems encountered and Resources required.
This practice requires a monitoring system which can show the progress and gaps at each point of time. The institute ERP is serving the purpose but it needs upgradations as the time changes.